Moving is an exciting – and stressful – time for any family. But if you have pets, you have even more things to take care of. Not only do you have to prepare the humans in your household to adjust to a new home in a new area, you have to get your furry friends ready, too. This task is a little harder since you can’t explain what’s happening to your dog or cat. So what can you do to make the transition easier? You can start by talking to a Rock Hill veterinarian. Here are five tips from Fort Mill Animal Clinic if you’re moving with pets.
- Don’t break your routines – Keep up with your pet’s daily routines. Stick to normal feeding and walking times. Try to keep the same amenities in your new home that you had at your old place, like a cat or doggy door.
- Avoid introducing new toys – While you may have good intentions by getting your pet new toys, try to avoid this right after a move. You want to create a familiar feeling for your pet in your new home. New toys and other items might give them anxiety when they need to be comforted.
- Help them feel secure – Speaking of anxiety, your pet might experience some nervousness during the move. Help make them feel secure by setting aside a safe space for them.
- Remain patient – Next, make sure to stay patient. It will take time for your pet to adjust to the new space, so try not to get frustrated if they have accidents or chew on your shoes. Your frustration will only lead to more anxiety for your pet.
- Give them lots of love – Finally, make sure to give your pets tons of love during the move. Providing your dog or cat with positive affirmations will go a long way during this transition.
Are you moving to our area? Schedule an appointment with Fort Mill Animal Clinic once you’ve settled in! Our Fort Mill, Indian Land, and Rock Hill veterinarian will help you keep your pet happy and healthy. Start by filling out our new pet patient form today.